Monday, July 2, 2007

8 (hopefully) Interesting Things About Me

Well, I was tagged by my wife K to do the 8 Random Facts Meme.

Here are the rules:
- I have to post these rules before I give you the facts. got it
- Each participant (victim) posts eight random facts about themselves. that would be below
- At the end of the post, eight more bloggers are tagged (named and shamed). can't do it...unless I randomly picked victims, everyone I know has already done it.
- Go to their blog, leave a comment telling them they're tagged (cut and run). see above

I'll start with an answer to one of Wendy's questions left on a previous post.

1. I don't know what got me interested in swords and such, but I remember watching The Hobbiton TV around then. I've always loved the fantasy genre...even before it was a recognized genre.

2. Speaking of The Hobbit, I've read it 13 times completely through. The first time was in 7th grade. It took me about 2 days as I raced my sister who had to read it and was taking forever. I've also read The Lord of the Ringsat least 9 times, The Silmarilliontwice, and The Tolkien Companioncover to cover once.

3. I started making swords out of election sign stakes. I would use my pocket knife to put an edge on them and carve a handle. Obviously, they've evolved and improved over time. I would organize neighborhood battles and everyone had their stuff painted to identify them. My items were always solid gold. I preferred a long sword and shield, while my brother preferred a quarter staff painted gold, black, gold, black, gold.

4. One time I was running with a "knife" shoved down my sock and hit it on the car bumper and thrust it into my foot. I went to the Schlitterbahn the next day. Not a good idea. It got infected while I was there and swelled up huge, and I started running a fever and got all sick. Kinda sucked.

5. I really enjoy going to the Renaissance Festival. I really get a kick out of dressing up. My mom says I used to dress in costume for high school, too. Guess I did have a couple.

6. Speaking of high school, this year is my 20th reunion. Don't know if I'm going to be able to make it. We have a lot going on, but I missed the 10th and I would really like to go.

7. See that shield/crest by my name? I drew that while sitting at a conference about 10 years ago. I just started doodling and then refining my dragon. Next thing I know, I had put the crest together. I've been using it on everything since. I even sneak into work papers and presentations. Before the conference was over, I had drawn crests for over half the people there.

8. In keeping with K's number 8, when she met me I had long hair and an earring. Her hair was long then, too, and she had crimped it for the party. I liked it.

I could probably keep going, but chances are that this will come around again, or I'll need to post something new to keep my wife interested in stopping by my page. Hopefully that rambling didn't scare too many people and you'll be intrigued enough to stop by again and see how I've embarrassed myself, or maybe even decide you need a sword or five. I recommend arming the whole neighborhood for a birthday party. The kids love it and they keep playing with them for a long time. I could make some kind of volume party package. Let me know if you're interested.

Look K...completely clean...no talk about length of swords or how best to use them to achieve desired results.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Now see, you had to add that in the end, didn't you?

You have never told me that Schlitterban story. That's not very nice.

You were such a babe with your long hair and earring.

Wendy said...

I want to see th epic of K with crimped hair!! LEt me see it!!