Saturday, June 16, 2007

Long Awaited Pictures

Ok, it may not be loooooong awaited, since this blog has only been in existence for a couple of days, but pictures do seem to be in demand by those that have visited. So here is a picture of some of what I call "dress" swords. The red and blue pommels mark which son they were made for. I still have to make one for the youngest. I have the sword blank made, I just need to finish it.


These are made from red cedar and as such are way too soft to be used in combat. I found this out through experience. I then switched to pine, which is a nice inexpensive way to go, but also, not the longest lasting in heavy combat. Here is one made of pine around 1986, but not used in combat.
One day I was looking through some wood I had laying around, and this piece just cried out to be a cutlass.

These next two have seen extensive use in combat. They are both made from red oak. I recommend this as a wood choice, but it does double the cost. The blue-handled one is "mine" for those that wanted a picture of "my" sword.

I liked the way the flash bounced off this one. I'll put some close-up detail shots below.



7 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, no thought provoking thoughts yet...ok, I'll leave one.

I think they are beautiful, and require a lot of talent! It's amazing how well you can make those, and make them look totally real!

Wendy said...

My, what a long sword you have. And so smooth. I likey

Susie PSU said...

How much are your long swords? Are the shorter ones cheaper?

You have such niiiiice swooords...

Wendy said...

Okay so really.... I told Kristen you should write the real names of the swords so your blog may come up if you google the name. And, how long does it take you to make a sword if someone orders one. Do you have prices set on them yet? I am sure you do it according to woods? Have you priced the swords with the different woods? Etc. You should answer more questions friend!! What made you like sowrd making? Why did you originally do it when you were six? What did Kristen think when you started making them? Are they safe for kids? There, now you have a few things to blog about!!

Kristen said...

Wow Wendy, you are better than Katie Couric! You rank right up there with Barbara Walters for sheer talent for asking good questions!

txswordmaker said...

Susie and Wendy have both asked some good questions. I promise to answer them this weekend. We have family in town and things have been pretty busy.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments.

txswordmaker said...

ok...looks like I have a few minutes, so here's a brief answer. The price of a sword depends on a variety of factors: wood selection, detail desired, size...


I'll put out more later...time to go to bed.