Monday, June 25, 2007

First Attempt to Answer the Burning Questions

Howdy! I know it has been a while since the last post. It is nice to see that a few folks have stopped by and expressed an interest in my swords. I know it seems like it should be an easy question to answer - "How much is a sword?" - but since I customize my swords it is not quite that easy. In order to answer that question, I need to ask a few questions. If you want to send an email to me, (it is on my profile) with the answers, I will put it all together and send you a sketch and a quote.

1. Whom is the sword for? This is to estimate the correct size (scale) of the sword style desired.

2. What do you want to do with it? If you just want to display it (like the crossed swords I have in our basement), then I use lighter wood and add more details. If you want to be able to do combat with it, then I use hard woods and make a sturdier variety. This will also make it heavier. For younger children, I recommend using pine instead of oak. It is easier to lift and hurts less if you are hit by it, but they do take damage and will not last forever.
3. What style do you want? Cutlass, straight blade, leaf blade, one-edge, two-edge, dagger, Roman, etc.
4. What shape/style of hilt? I have several different options for grip shape, pommel, and cross guard. I will post pictures of different options when I am not at work.
5. Do you want it painted or unpainted? We can discuss color choices via email.

Those are really the basics. Seems like a lot, but I want to make sure you have a sword that fits your needs and styles and will be enjoyed for a long time.

I also make shields and will post some pictures of those soon. In addition, I am working on some other types of weapons, like axes and maces. Someday, I hope to get adventurous enough to try bows. If you have a special request, fire away!

Now with all that in mind, a painted oak sword like “mine” with the blue handle would be $75.

A painted pine cutlass like the one shown would be $25, $35 in oak.

The straight sword under mine would be $15 in pine or $25 in oak (Recommended sword for children who are going to use them in combat against each other).

Short swords like the two with the ball and claw pommels would be $50 in pine/redwood or $75 in oak.

3 comments:

A.K. said...

love the pictures in the last one... if i ever need a sword- i'll definitely know who to come to!

Wendy said...

Oh thank you kind sire for answering those burning questions. Great jobn. YOu can add pics to this post, or do a who new one with labeling above the pics. Thank you!!

Susie PSU said...

The length of sword doesn't matter, as long as it can win the battle...